PERSPECTIVE
An aid workers impressions as she travels the world building toilets.
Latest public adventure: to be determined.
Poems, photos and ramblings abound.


LABELS
click to sort posts

April 1, 2010

Puttin' myself out there...

I want to ask you a favor in a small adventure to either satisfy or break my ego. Read on.

So, I like to write. I like words. In the past I dabbled in literary magazines and participated in a fairly prestigeous writing camp. Not really been published, but sort of. I have this darn blog that not so many people read. Sometimes people find it entertaining and sometimes boring. So, I asked myself, if I want to write and say something... how do I know if I really can? Am I good enough? How can I get better? Does anyone want to read what I write?  Why? Why not? What do I have to say anyway?

Basically, this is my ego talking (yes, we all have one). So I thought I would look online for some adventures in writing. Can I validate myself? What's my direction? Is there some niche for my quirky style? Or should I continue to be satisfied writing for fun?

I am going to enter 10 online writing contests and see what happens... I will try to find a variety of them, but so far I am not an expert and there is a lot out there! (oh and by the way, no deadline... eh. I do have a job.)
As I do so, I will post them here and I will include the outcome.
I would love to hear what you think too! 
Tell me where you got bored, where you stopped reading.
Don't tell me what you liked.
Tell me what sucked.

Contest # 1)  I entered an essay writing contest for World Water Day. The audience wasn't totally clear, but to be less than 750 words. The results are announced the 9th, but I won't win, gosh darn it. Today (9 April) it is ranked 38 out of 105 submissions - and you have to be in the top 10 to be considered. Not exactly validation, I am afraid to say. But Fuck it, right? You gotta just put you self out there and let your ego take a thrashing.
So here is my entry, in all its sentimental glory.


(the title was given by the contest makers)
Inadequate access to safe water and sanitation claims 4,500 lives a day. What should we do about it?

Quick update: I changed the above to a link, as appearently this is better netiquette. 
The article has currently fallen to 87/103 (14 April)! I have gotten some great feedback, though and I will be updating the article once I am allowed by the site (when contest winner is announced). Stay tuned as my ego bashing continues. (Waaahaa haaa evil laugh)

5 comments:

  1. Trayle, Jolly and I love your writing.It feels to us like we are there, seeing , tasting and feeling the murky water , the mouth full of dust.keep it going.love Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it. you are so far away from life as "I" know it , your perspective is so refreshing- tragedy captures the interest yet triumph makes the story. look forward to you making the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Trayle!

    Such a long time! Your wrinting was great, I just loved it¨! Keep on going, I will put a link on my blog to have more people read you!

    Good luck and see you anytime around the world

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sorry I didn't respond to these until now! I think I had the thing set up wrong... anyhow...

    melanie, thanks for the link1 and hope to see you somewhere... I think I have seen a bit of visitors from your side of the world.

    thanks ryker and trudy!

    ReplyDelete