PERSPECTIVE
An aid workers impressions as she travels the world building toilets.
Latest public adventure: to be determined.
Poems, photos and ramblings abound.


LABELS
click to sort posts

January 14, 2007

Good bye to Africa... at least for a while.

A fitting farewell to Africa. Here is Dinner (shown at left), a dear gift from the Chief of Garbakoley in Mandera Kenya. He was the favorite Chief of most of us; educated, spoke great English, loved to debate politics and religion and was very helpful in implementation of the project.

We had a lovely staff party. One of my staff sang to me a goodbye song that almost made me cry. I received some thoughtful gifts (a headscarf for Kabul). We saw the honorary "Camle Dance." Speeches were made; the best again being from the Chief of Garbakoley who says "In Muslim culture women stay in the kitchen, but I guess that is up to Mario. I have some advice for Kabul, be patient and do not dress like an American, dress like a Muslim lady." The first part was a joke and the second pretty good advice.

I'll miss the continant that I had grown used to... all the chaos that works, the stinky, the green, the beautiful, the corruption, the comfort, the knowledge that there is always a solution. But we will be back I am sure...

And I do suppose I should explain who "we" are... For those of you who don't know, Mario is a lovely man I met in DRCongo, who also works for ACF, and to whom I have just gotten engaged. We won't be married until after our mission in Afghanistan is through, i.e. 2008. I am so happy to have found someone who I can work and travel with, who is smart and interesting, who has a cool background (he is French, but is of Syrian origin), who I can put up with and who can put up with me.


So here I go out on the next part of the adventure. Some of it staying the same and some of it getting better: I will still work in Water and Sanitation for Action Against Hunger, but this time as a coordinator (more mangaging, less cement). I hope that this blog will encourage me to write a bit more, get a bit more creative... although as you can tell this one is a bit of an update, make it easier to share photos with you all.

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Trayle, This is so wonderful! I will now be able to show my friends what you are doing, the beauty of the mountains, & you in a headscarf. I love you & Mario. Momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trayle
    I am a friend of your Mom's in Beaufort. It is just great to see you and your photos and read a bit about your great adventure. I'll look forward to updates. May God be with you and Mario in Afghanistan. My husband is in Iraq...eyes wide open at all times please.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations Trayle! very excited for you and Mario. Afghanistan looks amazing.
    cari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anup and I are so happy for you! We hope you are enjoying the beauty of the mountains and broadening your professional experience! I am so proud of you! Bisous bisous to you and the lovely lovely Mario ~ The Sharmas

    ReplyDelete