PERSPECTIVE
An aid workers impressions as she travels the world building toilets.
Latest public adventure: to be determined.
Poems, photos and ramblings abound.


LABELS
click to sort posts

October 11, 2010

Everywhere there's signs...

Shameless editorial note: Please come back the 15th of October to help me win contest #6.

* * *
Don't get the wrong idea from this post. Haiti is not getting back to normal.

It is not being reconstructed. Or deconstructed. Or inducted.
But people live here. And they are living. And to do that, things are constructed.
As this happens, the landscape changes. Shapes of slumped buildings adjust themselves, they become lighter, they become transparent.
Their pieces are laid in neat piles.
It is like wind is blowing around the rubble, the iron bar, the cement.
Shifting desert sands and dust, but a thousand times heavier.

* * *

I was in a certain meeting the other day. It lasted two days. It was many things... Many things were said and said again. And again. Somethings were said only once. Some things were brushed aside.

Discussing aspects of worst case scenarios, someone said "...if people build without control."

Life happens, my friend, and it is not controlled.

Walls and roofs and floors are no longer separated. They are being broken up. Piled up. Recycled. They are being built back from blocks that fell.

* * * 
I am not a bleeding heart aid worker. I am not naive (though my father may argue otherwise). I am not one who instantly identifies with a suffering population, believing I can solve their problems because I mistakenly think I understand them and feel their pain.

But I do think it is important to take off those damn yellow glasses and try to see something from another point of view than your own. Forget your own priorities for a second. Just one second, then go back. That's how we might start to get a realistic view of whatever it is we are looking at. It's not that we can ever be inside, really inside, something else; we are outside and will remain so (and there is value in that). But just a quick flip of perspective, upside down, once in a while is good. Question it. Then go back to where you were perched before, with a little clearer view.

Living. Eating. Bathing. Gambling. Carrying on after. Of course people are picking up old blocks and putting them back together. People aren't waiting for the engineers to come. They are not waiting for development projects with seismic retro fitting. They are not waiting for our project frameworks. They are living. And they will continue to do so.

Everyone has an agenda and a bias. I tried to loose my own, but maybe it is easier for me because I do not claim to be an expert on Haiti or reconstruction or normal.

* * * 

Messages are passed, as in other parts of the world, by taxis - or tap taps.

Many have heartfelt messages of faith (though most are french or creole, here is an english one).
Some are less deep and less meaningful. Most are spelled wrong.

This is my favorite. It is in creole. The driver translated for me (and did some awesome driving so I could catch a photo of it). I understood that it says roughly: "I would be ashamed if I were you."
With Rambo below.
Classic.
Excellent.

"God directs my affairs
fizzy drinks."

4 comments:

  1. So here are a few comments I got through face book.

    "fizzy drinks, indeed."

    "I love your project frameworks comments. I did some disaster response work with floods and hurricanes. I loved the looks on people's faces when the government bureaucrats would come in and say, "don't fix anything until we have told you how... to - wait on us - we'll get to you within a few months."

    You are right. People are going to live. They go on living, even if bureaucracies can't keep up. That is probably the beautiful thing about a market, if you generally get out of the way people will take care of themselves. It tends to get messed up when somebody wants to control it or have power over it.

    Keep up the good work. We'll try to send you a few hits on 10/15."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I will respond, as the author:

    First, thanks for the comments.

    Fizzy drinks. Priorities.

    Charles, thanks for making me think.

    I would have to say that I do believe in our project frameworks and I think they are valuable (or I would have quit a long time ago). They offer important insight, they force us to reflect and to put the ideas on paper and in the end we should be accountable to what goes onto that paper. So don't get me wrong, I appreciate strategic meetings (and enjoy them).

    That said, my point is just that we have to some times be realistic in that our frameworks exist outside (maybe around, maybe within) the world in which we are designing them for. This world changes fast and without knowledge (or a care) about how we have framed the problematic. And therefore we have to be careful to take that into consideration.

    I think we agree on that one...

    The part about markets is a tricky, slippery slope (but an interesting debate). I will just say that I don't agree 100% because it is complicated, not always beautiful and doesn't always work.

    It is more complicated that this, but the primary key to a market is choices (correct me if I am wrong)... People don't always have choices. That's the goal in my business, is to give them choices (yes, through our silly frameworks). (I not just talking economics here). If a woman doesn't have choices to make in order to take care of herself, then those choices are not made and the market model doesn't work. And things get ugly.

    I need to ruminate about this one to be able to explain it fairly, from my perspective... but, for now, I hope that makes sense.

    Thanks for making me think about it.

    And do come back. And keep making me think about things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Signs... signs... everywhere signs...."

    Great post, great music reference (I notice those).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks J.
    Flattered, I am.

    "do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs"

    Maybe we need to make some signs.

    ReplyDelete