PERSPECTIVE
An aid workers impressions as she travels the world building toilets.
Latest public adventure: to be determined.
Poems, photos and ramblings abound.


LABELS
click to sort posts

September 10, 2010

Pissed off

This may be my most explicit post. I do hold back and usually keep it pretty clean. But not this time. It's not that I am having a bad day, it is just that today I will share my judgment and rancor.

* * *

Looking up, the remnants of tropical storm Gaston makes the clouds churn, black and full of rain over the mountains, while towards the bay is white and puffy. Not unique, simply a beautiful, complex sky.

Looking down, the steep street is dirty and the smell of urine flows uphill. Urine in the street is ubiquitous, not unique to Port au Prince (see posts about Kabul and Kenya), and today is no different than any other, except that I have to blame someone.

I blame the men around the world who whip it out and piss along the concrete walk.

I drove about an hour to a meeting and (just like any other day) along the way I saw at least seven men pissing in the open. Not behind a tree, not tucked away somewhere, not in the woods. Along the street. I could see the streams of their piss sparkle in the sun.

They disgust me.

* * *

The bitch with black spots,
her white coat brown, rough and crusted,
mangy red teets swing, panting
while she squats
over discarded plastic,
rotting fruits and a flat styrofoam box.

The man with oil stained jeans,
has no coat, steps over that same debris,
and shields just his cock, pausing
while he pees
upright, upon a busy street
exposing his sequined stream.

* * *

One could attack me as a hypocrite. And that is fine, perhaps I am. But an honest one.

I grew up peeing in the woods, I pee in the bush on a long car ride, I am an expert and rarely wet my feet. I also have no aversion to excreta (that's my job) or even to the smell of urine (which is in fact sterile). But there is something disturbing about city-scape, concrete laden, public man-pissing. Some of what bothers me deeply, perhaps, is seeing the pee raining down without regard to the throngs of strangers who are forced to watch this display. Forgive my sexist tendency, but no woman anywhere in the world would take a piss on a busy street. (Yes okay, indeed if she is ill or completely wasted.) There is something to be said for respect and dignity.

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to vent. This one has been building up for a while.

    (the removed comment from me is just an error)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Alison, not Amoshaun... I don't think this is too explicit Trayle. Frankly I was hoping for something a little more explicit, knowing you... However I do agree with you. I could share that some rural man pissing is also disturbing. For example I was in Vermont cross country skiing in a somewhat isolated little area when a man cruised by me on a snow mobile. He stopped about 20 feet in front of me and whipped it out to pee in the snowbank. It seemed entirely unnecessary to pee right there in front of me, and I took it as an act of aggression or dominance or some weird primal shit like that... Yes, women generally don't try to urinate as a performance piece. I often pee on my feet when urinating in the bushes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to mention that folks that know my mouth probably wouldn't find it very explicit... heh heh. Maybe the manly loudness of his snow mobile wasn't enough to prove his manliness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey TVK - I just wanted to say that this is pretty interesting stuff. Yes, I am a man, and I lived in Garbatulla for 4 long painful years. I was a student at Garbatulla High School. It was a national school then, now I hear it is den for monkeys e.t.c. It is so painful to hear what became of that little "oasis in the desert". Man, the things I experienced there, just out of this world if you ask me!. And, Yes, the boranas used to amaze me not only with the pissing in publik deal, but they also wore these things that looked like bedsheets (the men), and they would always grab their groins, OMG!!,in front of the women, and they would continue doing it with no embarassment at all. I mean, I am a guy and it bothered me, am not sure what it did to the sistahs (depending on thier fetishes ofcourse!!). The local borana women didn't seem to mind. Now, whe borana woman on the other hand used to grab their long dresses and sometimes show their legs, mama mia!!. Now, that was hot, because alot of them were not exactly ugly either, LOL!!.

    I would love to know what NGO you were working with in Garbatulla. Me and alot of our old gang are thinking of resurrecting that school. When the school closed, basically Garbatulla became a "ghost town"....so sad!!. Chao!!

    ReplyDelete